We all know we have to drink the right amount of water every day to stay properly hydrated, but when are the best times to drink water? There are some key times of the day that you should have a glass of water. Those times are related to activities during the day, such as exercise or eating. Getting these timings right is important but your main objective (in addition to drinking enough water every day) is spreading out your consumption over the whole day.
Taking regular glasses of water over the course of your day is the best way to stay hydrated.
Key Times For Drinking Water
Here are some of the key times that you should have a glass of water:
- When you wake up – your body uses water while you sleep so this replenishes your system. It also helps your body remove toxins.
- Before meals and snacks – you should have a glass of water about 30 minutes before you eat. This helps you to eat less and it helps your digestive system.
- Before taking a bath – to help regulate your body temperature
- Before exercise – you will lose more water during exercise than you can replenish by sensible drinking, so you should drink a glass of water before you train
- After exercise – to replace the water lost during the physical activity
Benefits Of Drinking Water Throughout The Day
When you drink water throughout the whole day your body will be better hydrated. The benefits of this include:
- Generally feeling better – you will have higher energy levels
- Better mood – you will feel less tired and irritable
- Improved concentration – cognitive performance will improve
- Better physical performance – your joints and muscles will work better
- Aids digestion – particularly when you drink before meals and snacks
- Keeps hunger away – makes you feel fuller
- Helps metabolism – improves fat metabolism
So, you should drink regularly throughout the day. The real question now is how. Here are some tips:
- Keep water handy – if you don’t have access to a tap and glasses throughout the day carry a water bottle with you
- Add taste – if you struggle with the taste of water you should try infusing it with fruit to give it a more interesting taste. This will motivate you to keep you coming back for more.
- Get reminders – use WaterMinder app to track your water intake and give you reminders to drink throughout the day.
Drinking water should become a natural and regular part of your daily routine. This will help your hydration and keep you healthy.